Sunday, May 4, 2008

2008 Flying Pig Half-Mary Race Report


What a great race!!!

Cincinnati does a great job. This race actually reminded me of the Richmond Marathon. The people were incredibly friendly and the runners were great. We had a great time.

The race itself was great as well. The weather was perfect. Cool, clear blue skies. The course was wonderful. There are some hills, but nothing that was overwhelming. The hills in the Charlottesville Ten-Miler were worse than the ones in this race.

A few things stick out that I wanted to mention:

  • Around mile 2, the race crosses a bridge into Kentucky. The bridge is one of these big arch bridges, which was pretty cool. But, what was really great was that the wind was whipping through the steel girders that support the bridge which somehow caused the wind to whistle as it traveled through the bridge. It actually sounded like an Enya song. How cool!!
  • At mile 5, right before the start of the hills, the race went through a part of town that was mobbed with screaming spectators. It was GREAT!!!! If there was ever a time I felt like a superhero it was then :)
  • Miles 5-8 were nothing but hills. They were long and the grade was a little steep, but like I said, nothing impossible. At the top of the last hill, Elvis was on hand to sing a version of Bridge over Troubled Water to us.
  • Around mile 9 or 10, the race goes down a huge hill....it lasts for like a mile (at least it felt like it). I think I like running up hills rather than running down them. It sounds counterintuitive, but man, downhill running jostles your legs a bit.
  • The finish line, as always, is great. It was packed. There must have been like 3 or 4 thousand people there.
I would absolutely recommend this race to anyone. It was really one of the better experiences I've had while racing. Oh, and one more thing, I ran it in under 2 hours. Official time 1:58:32. I got my pig butt!! Woot!

Thanks to Steph's sister and her fiancee for putting us up while we were there. Also, thanks to her friends for driving them around to the different spectator locations to see me. Thanks everyone :)

Later!!

Weight: 155lbs
Exercise:Running 13.1 miles
Weather:Beautiful weather

8 comments:

Kevin said...

awesome half mary time. looks like you left it all on the course, with your weight having gone down from 158 to 155. nice job.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Awesome result. I like the sound of the singing bridge.

David H. said...

Sounds like a great event - you've convinced me to do this sometime in the next couple of years! And congrats on the 10 minute improvement from the Shamrock Half. Looks like you're setting yourself up for a great marathon this fall.

Robert Barker said...

Congrats on a great race.

Topher said...

Awesome time, man! I dream of a sub 2 hour 1/2. Someday, maybe. Good to hear the Flying Pig is a good race; I've heard a lot about it, so might add that to my list to run sometime.

Chief Wahoo said...

Great time! Did they have skyline chilli at the finish?

Tim Wilson said...

Sounds like a great race Jason!

Very cool. I am ready for my next half!

brooks addiction said...

great race! congrats!