Monday, May 5, 2008

Recast In Iron

So, I've reached a major decision in my life. I've talked about it a few times on this blog. I've even chronicled some of my timid beginnings. But, now I am officially committed to it. I've told my wife ;)

What I plan to do is complete a Full Ironman in 2010. Yep, that's it. I will race an Ironman. I will continue my running journey. But, now I've added two more sports to my plate and I will only be updating my new Ironman blog. Tell your friends....join me on another journey!!

Without further ado:

i*ron man (also i*ron*man)
noun
(esp. in sporting contexts) an exceptionally strong or robust man.

  • [often as adj.] a multi-event sporting context demanding, in particular a consecutive triathlon of swimming, cycling, and running.
My life is changed. I conquered the marathon last year. This fall, I will do so again. I am no longer defined by what I cannot do. I am defined by what I can.

My journey is not over. I will continue to be more than I think I can be. I will embrace my desire to overcome.

I will be an Ironman. I will swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles in one day. I will triumph over my fear.

I will retool my body and mind to accept and welcome the pain of extreme endurance. It will take time. But, I will persevere. I will persist. I will continue.

Transformed. Altered. Remade.

I will be Recast In Iron.

3 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

You are a nutter! I'll follow your progress with interest.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats! I have only dreamt of saying those words - you have the courage to write them down. You are half way there!

Chief Wahoo said...

"I will retool my body and mind to accept and welcome the pain of extreme endurance. It will take time. But, I will persevere. I will persist. I will continue."

This is a great motivational quote!

I look forward to following your journey.