Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shamrock Dolphin Challenge (8k and Half Mary)

Woohooo!!!!! I'm a Dolphin!!!!!

That's right. I completed both the 8k and the half-mary at the Shamrock Sportsfest this weekend in Virginia Beach. That means that I completed the Dolphin Challenge.

Steph ran the half as well and her father and step-mom walked the half, so it was a whole family outing. We had such a great time!!!!

The 8k went really well for me. I did it in 42 minutes which is like super fast for me. The pace was like 8:37/mile. Woohoo!!!! I didn't know I could run that fast. I overdressed a little for this race, but it turned out ok. The weather this weekend was tricky. We had rain and winds out the yazoo Saturday night after a beautiful day. So we had some concerns about what to wear for the marathon on Sunday morning. We figured it out though.

The race itself started off great except for the fact that I didn't use the restroom like I should have before it started. Yep.....so at mile 1, I had to stop and go....I waited in line for 7 minutes!!!! That's right, I lost 7 minutes. So, I spent the remainder of the race catching up. So, I think I could have actually run a sub 2 hour race if I hadn't stopped for that stupid portajohn.

Here's the lesson: Always, always, pee before you race.

The rest of the race was non-eventful. I did pretty well I think. After I crossed the finish line a guy came up to me and shook my hand and thanked me for helping to pace him. He said I helped him for most of the race. That felt good :)

Steph did really well too. She completed it in 2:13. Woohoo for her!!!! Her father and step-mom also did great as well!!!!

Steph, her dad, her step-mom, and bunches of family friends have the Richmond Half on their schedule for this fall. I've got the Flying Pig Half and then the Marine Corps Mary and that's it for the year.

We can't wait!!!!

Cheers!!

1 comment:

David H. said...

Congrats on a great weekend!! I chose to take that 8k very easy to save myself for the half, but two races in two days no matter how it's approached was a very cool experience, and I was surprised at how few people actually did that. The weather was so iffy, but I definitely learned to take stuff to just toss. As far as having to pee, I know of no other way to say this, but as a guy it's just best to whip it out. Not sure where you had to go, but it's pretty easy to go in the woods after mile 3 on that course. For the Richmond Marathon, I just went right next to a port-a-potty. Enjoy your other two big races this year - I'd strongly encourage a few shorter ones this spring and summer just for the fun of it. I look forward to reading more and how training for your second marathon goes. I'll be posting my future plans very soon.