Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nutrition et al.

So today while I was running I got to thinking about my nutrition and the added running I'll be doing. I have to admit, I'm pretty much a dummy when it comes to this, so any ideas, advice would certainly be appreciated. Right now, I'm running 12 miles a week, so I'm not too concerned with my input, but as I increase mileage I want to make sure that I'm getting everything I need.

I've read all kinds of articles, books, etc. and it seems that everyone has a different take on what works. I would imagine that its kind of specific to the person, but I'm sure there are some standard things that everyone does. Soooo, please comment and let me know what you think about diet.

On another note, my lower left leg is causing me problems again. This time, I think its the muscle though. You know the muscle that sits on top of your tibia? I think I've strained that...it feels kind of like that stress fracture, but its higher up and the pain is different...its not like the fracture (although I could be giving myself another fracture). Also, that muscle is spasming so I really think its the muscle this time.

By the way, if I am giving myself another fracture, I really need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have good shoes, I'm running on a track, I'm only running 3 miles a day four days a week, I stretch before and after my run. So I have no idea what's causing the pain. However, like I said, it doesn't feel quite like it did before. I'm also icing it this time and using some of icy hot which seems to help. I've also started doing these things called wall-pushups that I learned about over at Cool Running. They seem to help.

I also made an appointment with the physical therapy folks for Monday. Hopefully, they can give me some insight as well.

The run went well this morning. 3 miles and then a 1/4 mile walk. Weather was decent. I also scoped out a place to swim today. I think I'd like to add that to my cross-training regimen. There is a local gym down here that has a pool so I think I'm going to look into that.

Later.

Weight: 172lbs
Exercise: Running 3 miles, walking 1/4 mile
Weather: 80 degrees, humid.

6 comments:

David H. said...

On the eating thing, this blog: http://coachjoeenglish.wordpress.com/ had some things in it a while back about eating. It was eating while you run, but it was still interesting. Everytime I have trained for a longer run, I eat more, but still manage to lose weight, so I have no answers. About your leg pain - are you just running on a track? If so, maybe you should switch it up, or make sure you turn around go the opposite way. Have you been to a running store to get your mechanics check out? I finally did that last year and discovered some issues and the fact my shoe size was off.

David H. said...

I got this email today from Runner's world on eating: Click here for it.

Anonymous said...

As your long run begins to increase, you'll need to make sure that you are adequately fueled prior to running. So, basically eat a good dinner the night before that contains some carbohydrates, protein, a little fat etc.
During the run you'll want to start experimenting with sport gels and sports drinks and water. After the first hour of exercise, you'll need to start ingesting sports drink or gel. One power gel contains about 100 calories. If you eat one of these every 45 minutes, you'll keep a steady flow of glucose in your body to get you through a marathon. Experimenting during training runs gives you an opportunity to see how your body tolerates certain products. After your long runs make sure to replace carbohydrate with in 30 minutes (just a snack, like a power bar or a recovery drink) Then you'll want to eat a normal meal within 2 hours to maximize replacement of carbohydrate lost during exercise.

Good luck with your marathon!

Anonymous said...

Experimenting is key. And it's all very idiosyncratic in that many products deliver the same effect, but some won't work for you. I can't do sport drinks. Thay make me thirsty. Gu followed by water doesn't.

The other thing you might want to consider while you are training is stretching during the run, and also stretching stuff that is secondary to what's ailing you. A friend of mine who is a multiple marathoner got me to do the former, and it really helped. Likewise doing hip stretches to help with shin pain.

Jason said...

Thanks for all the great advice. The information on what to take in during the run is very helpful. I picked up some gels the other day and I already had some protein and energy bars. Once I start increasing my mileage, I'll definitely be trying them out.

Thanks Lisa for the vote of confidence :)

Anonymous said...

You are welcome!