Monday, November 12, 2007

2007 Richmond Marathon Race Report


Alright, so here's the race report finally :)

Wow...what a great experience. I have to say though that I don't remember many of the details. David seems to have remembered everything, but not me. I can remember certain things very clearly, but for most of the race, it was kind of a blur. I had one of those runs where things just kind of fly by (at least until I got to Mile 20...more on that later).


So things started off early for us. Steph, my father-in-law, and I piled into our cars around 6:15 am and headed out to Richmond. The first thing that struck me once we got to the start line was the amount of people that were at this thing. There were thousands!!! I was also amazed at the different ways folks were dressed. Part of the problem was that the day started out cold, but I think most folks thought it would warm up. It really didn't. It stayed pretty chilly and windy most of the day. So people were dressed in shorts and shirt sleeves and also tights and long sleeves. It was all over. I dressed in long sleeves with a short sleeve shirt over it and shorts. I also had some el-cheapo gloves on and a visor. I was pretty cold starting out, but stayed comfortable for most of the race.

Well, I stretched a little before the race and not too long afterwards, it started. I couldn't really hear the start gun or whatever it was (it may have been a horn). People just started walking, so I blindly followed :) About 6-7 minutes later, I crossed the start line.
Prior to the race, I decided that I would go out and run 8 miles. After the 8, I would stop, get something to eat, drink, stretch, and then go out and run 18. That way, I wouldn't think of it as running 26 miles. So run 8 as a warmup and then run 18. I was attempting to trick myself. Well that worked until I got to the start line. At that start line, I decided I would just run until I stopped. I wouldn't pay attention to the time clocks or the mileage signs. And I didn't. I actually just ran. I ran until they put the mylar blanket on me (or I stopped to eat, drink, stretch, or pee). I ran. That's it. And man, was it awesome!!!

So for the things I remember:

  1. I had to pee very early in the race....like mile 2 I think. I think I also peed around mile 10. I know you're not interested in my urinary habits, but I mention it because, man some folks had #2 problems early on in the race :) I thought I had entered a war zone.
  2. I didn't feel any pain until mile 13 or 14. Up until halfway, I felt really good. No worries. Things just seemed to be very fluid and easy.
  3. Around that same time, someone in front of me decided to release the most awful gas I think I've ever been exposed to. The bad thing was that I think the people behind me thought it was me. So for the record, it wasn't. I passed no gas in the 2007 Richmond Marathon ;)
  4. At mile 16, I ate one of the marathon provided Clif-Shots and almost choked on it. I had brought my own GU, but I thought I would try some of of the Clif-Shots. Big mistake. My plan was to eat every four miles. So I had three GU's prior to mile 16. At 16, I had the Clif-Shot and literally choked as Clif-Shots are sooooo thick. Thankfully, I saw Steph at a stop soon after 16 and swapped out my remaining Clif-Shots for GUs. However, it helps when you remember to continue eating. I actually forgot to eat my last GU (which was planned for mile 24). I was so caught up in my running that I actually forgot to eat.
  5. I saw my family and friends at all of the spectator stops. It was so nice and comforting to see them at each stop. I didn't spend much time with them, but seeing them let me know that I wasn't doing this alone.
  6. At mile 20, my nightmare began. I thought I had hit the wall in some of my training long runs. I hadn't. In fact, I don't even think I knew what the wall was until I hit mile 20 of the marathon. Right after my debacle with the Clif-Shot we crossed the Lee Bridge. Going across this bridge was like crossing the Arctic. I swear the winds were like 25-30 mph, blowing right into our faces. I was actually drafting behind people. Anyway, after we crossed the bridge, we had a couple miles until the last spectator stop. I saw my wife and family and then was off to mile 20 and beyond. I had no idea it would be that hard to get through 20 and 21. The only reason I was able to do it is because there were some folks in front of me who kept running. I simply stared at their legs and continued. I didn't see anything other than their legs for the next two miles. I've never experienced anything like it. If those people hadn't been there, I don't know that I would have kept running. You should know that I thanked them at the next water stop. They had no idea they had helped me, so I thought I would let them know.
  7. At mile 22, something miraculous happened. I suddenly snapped out of my nightmare. It was like I had just started running. Did that happen to you when you broke through the wall? I assumed I was going to stay in that funk until the end of the race, but I didn't. I felt like a new person. I had more energy and was ready to finish.
  8. Around mile 24, a young woman began running alongside me. She was having trouble continuing. I think she was using me like I used those folks earlier. Anyway, shortly after, she began crying and falling back. So I fell back. I asked if everything was ok. Through the sobs, she said she didn't think she would make it. I told her that she would and encouraged her to run with me to the next water stop (which was mile 25). So she did. We ran together to 25. She cried the whole way, but she made it. I don't know what happened to her after 25 as I didn't stop. I hope she made it.
  9. I was running like the wind at this point. I made it through the wall and was really enjoying the last mile or so. I rounded the last corner and there was the finish line. I was focussed entirely on the end. And then out of nowhere, I heard my name. I looked and there was one of my students holding a sign that said "Jason is my hero". Whoah!!!!!! Where the hell did that come from? Could it get any better than that?
  10. Yep. It can. Right after seeing that sign, I heard my wife yell my name. I looked to my right and she was cheering me on. Here come the tears.....I was crying like a baby. I slowed down a little as there were a few people with me. I figured they should have their moment at the finish line, so I slowed down so we wouldn't cross at the same time. Lest you think I'm too unselfish, I also wanted to enjoy my time across the finish line as well :)
  11. I crossed the finish line, heard my name announced by the announcer, grabbed a bottle of water and a blanket, and headed off to pick up my medal.
What a day. I don't think I can explain how I felt. I think that essay I posted earlier sums it up. What I can tell you is that I'm addicted. I want to run another. I know I'm feeling the elation of completing a marathon and all that, but I'm pretty sure I want to run another.

I also want to acknowledge and thank all of the volunteers who helped at the race. I have never seen nor felt such an outpouring of compassion and caring as I did that day from totally anonymous people. There were so many people there to cheer us on. I now know why the Richmond Marathon is known as the World's Friendliest Marathon. It really is.

I'd like to tell my family and friends, and fellow bloggers, how thankful I am for your support and encouragement. There is no way I could have done this without you. Thank you so much.

Lastly, I'd like to thank two very special people. First, my father-in-law. He went out of his way to help me do this marathon. He helped with advice, with mapping out routes, with encouragement, with so many things. Thanks Joe. You don't know how much I appreciate your support.
Even though she didn't step on the course, my wife ran this marathon with me. She has been there every step of the way, from my first training day to holding me in her arms after the marathon was over. She has been there. She has helped on days when I know when she didn't want to. During the marathon, I held her image in front of me. When I felt like quitting, I felt her with me, running with me, telling me to suck it up. She deserves more thanks than I can ever provide her with. So I'll just leave it at that. Thanks Steph. I love you.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love you, too, babe. :-) Congrats, again! Winnie and I are very proud!

David H. said...

Great race report - you remember more than you give yourself credit for. I had to sit and think about the first 20 miles to have the images come back to me. The last 6 are the most memorable and what stick out the most. I look forward to continuing to read your journey after the marathon. Keep up the posting!

Anonymous said...

Great report Jason. Thanks for sharing and being an encouragement to guys like me.

RunToTheFinish said...

awesome! It's amazing how everything is more intense on that big day. Suddenly the wall is harder, your will is stronger and all the memories are intense as well.

Congrats!!! You're a marathoner!

Moon said...

Fantastic race report! I'm so glad that it went so well for you - and you definitely made it fun to read about :) Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Jason --
Please contact me about a possible corporate sponsorship of your blog.

Regards,

-- Bob Bowdon
(201) 239-1270

Obi-Run Kenobi said...

Good to see you were supporting the Mountaineers while running in Virginia. Pat White would be proud!

Congratulations on completing your first marathon! You made me want to reach my own goal even more.

-PMW
baltimorerunningproject.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great, great post! I will admit that I was a bit teary as I read the section of your post starting after mile 21. Those final 5 miles really show you what you are made of. Good for you for helping the girl who was struggling.

Hope you are taking time to enjoy your victory this week!

Anonymous said...

Wow... funny, sweet, touching. Great photos too! I really loved reading this, because I could "hear" you narrating.