Saturday, November 17, 2007

8 + 3 = 11

So our family did 11 miles today.  I ran 3 and Steph ran 8.  Woohoo for her!!!  This is the longest she's ever run and she seemed to enjoy it.  This was also her first time out with the FuelBelt and I think she's getting the hang of it.  She hopefully will run the VA Beach Shamrock Half with me in March.

Today was my first time running since the marathon.  Things went well, but I'm definitely still recovering.  I was a bit sluggish and I have a little soreness in my right calf.  I  bought The Stick at the race last week and I love it.  It really helps to work out some of knots and soreness, so I think I'll have a session with it this evening.

I'll take a rest day tomorrow and then 3 again on Monday I think.  I want to get back to 5-8-5-12 as my normal running routine.  That way I can stay in shape for the halfs that are coming and then prepare for the full marathon in October.

I've come to the conclusion that I think I only want to run halfs and fulls.  I'm not really that fast and I like the peacefulness of the longer runs.  That doesn't mean that I won't run some shorter races, but I think the majority of my races will be longer ones.

I rewarded myself this week by purchasing the Garmin Foreunner 205.  I can't wait to try it out.  I have a feeling it won't work so well through the tunnel we have on our trail, but everyone seems to highly recommend it.

Ohhh, one more thing.  I left the ipod at home today.  This was the first time I didn't run with it.  I'm slowly weaning myself off of it as most of the races I'm running don't allow them.

Weight:155lbs
Exercise:Jason running 3 miles, Steph running 8 miles
Weather:Cold, overcast 30-35 degrees.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I really enjoy how you include your wife in you family running stats. Very cool.

David H. said...

Congrats on the first post-marathon run! Having started with shorter races and built myself up to the marathon, I see a huge benefit to 5ks and 10ks. Now I look at them as speed workouts, especially 5ks. even if you're slow, the shorter races will help your longer races although nothing can prepare you for those final 6 miles. Plus it's great to run with large groups. Enjoy this downtime for the next few weeks and don't rush too quickly to 30-mile weeks again.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for your wife! Tom was just telling me about the benefits of the stick this week. Really gets the knots out. Hope week 2 of recovery goes well.

Jason said...

Yeah I'm not going to push it. I just want to get back to 5-8-5-12 sometime soon. It's amazing at how your body takes a beating during a marathon. I thought I would have been a bit more recovered by now, but, no worries....I'll take it slow :)

Cyberpenguin said...

Great running blog! Got a small but useful tip for you to help increase your readership: Add an RSS button to your blog, which'll encourage more people to subscribe. You're welcome to check out my blog, http://seecoreyrun.blogspot.com, for an example. Also, I'd be happy to show you how to do this. Just let me know by leaving a comment on my blog. Thanks!
-C