Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Next Steps (pun intended)

So I did a little research on some marathon stats.  In 2005, 382,000 people completed a marathon in the United States (according to marathonguide.com).  In 2005, the population of the US was around 297 million.  That means that .13% of the US population completed a marathon in 2005....that's 1/10 of 1%.  Wow...I feel like I'm in some really unique club now :)

Anyway, I decided to register for a few half-marathons in 2008.  You can see them over on the right there.  I think I'm also going to give the Marine Corps Marathon a try (if I can get in).  I would run the Richmond one again, but I'd like to try another course if possible.  I am also toying with idea of a triathlon.  I'm just toying now, so I may not do it.  We'll see.

Today, I went out a walked  3 miles to get back in the swing of things.  I think I may give running a try on Friday.  We'll see how it goes.

Cheers!!

Weight: 156lbs
Exercise: Walking 3 miles
Weather:Cool, overcast, 55 degrees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that you have Flying Pig on there. You're going to have to get off the trail to train for that, since it has some hilly bits, no? You can come over here and we can show you what our own Dr. H. has dubbed "The Evil Hill Run."

David H. said...

I'm extremely torn about making decisions on '08 beyond the Shamrock Half. Now's a good time for some downtime and recovery, but I've got that marathon hook after feeling so good just a few days later. I would suggest to you to try out a few shorter races as well. They're a lot of fun -- you can stock up on some T-shirts and you'll start competing against yourself even more.