Sunday, December 30, 2007

Stupid does hurt

A few months ago I posted on how stupid should hurt. Well, I have found out first hand that it does. I have what's known in the medical world as Achilles tendinitis. That's right. After my long run last Saturday I had some heel pain. I ended up running 5 on that Monday, and then the day after Christmas, decided I would put in my 8. BIG MISTAKE!!! I was fine until I got 5 miles or so. My heel then began to scream.

Of course, being the stubborn person I am, I thought that I could push through (which I did BTW). The problem was I could barely walk after I was done. So for the last few days I have not been running (I've barely been walking) as the heel pain is incredibly bad. Thankfully, things appear to be on the mend. I'm not sure what caused this problem, but it could have been the ramp up of my mileage. Also, I think my shoes are in need of replacement (I'll be taking care of that tomorrow)

But, it looks like I won't be taking part in the half-mary this coming Saturday. Steph will be doing it alone. She did 13 yesterday (woohoo for her!!) and I'll be cheering her on next Saturday.

As the new year approaches, I've been contemplating my New Year's resolutions. Last year, I resolved to lose weight and begin running. In reflection, not only did I lose weight (70lbs), but I also ran a marathon. This year, I think I'd like to bench press my body weight 3-5 times. That'll be my resolution. I'll also be keeping the weight off, but I'd like to increase my strength.

SOOOOOO, beginning tomorrow (I'm going to start a day early), I'll begin my lifting program. Once my heel heals (ha), I'll be back to 5-8-5-12.

Oh, one more thing. Since I kept to my resolution last year, I will be rewarding myself in the coming days. I'm buying a 2008 Red Jeep Wrangler X 4x4. Woohoo for me :)



Happy New Year!!!!

Weight: 156lbs
Exercise: None
Weather: Cool


Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Topher said...

bummer about having to miss your race, but hopefully cheering your wife on will be fun in it's own way. Funny commercial, too. Do you have to pay extra for it to do that?

David H. said...

You're doing a good thing by sitting out that race. The best advice I have gotten in the past week or so is to just not run. It sucks, but I'm sure you'll be in a much better position by taking a week off rather than running through the pain and making it worse. Congrats on the weight loss this year! You'll now experience what I have for a few years now -- the challenge of keeping it off!

Mark said...

OUCH !!!! ;( ......

Hey when you get the Jeep and want to play in the snow..... come visit...