Tuesday, October 23, 2007

30 things I've learned from training for a marathon

  1. Running is easy (just place one foot in front of the other)
  2. Running is hard (at mile 18, it takes a lifetime to put one foot in front of the other)
  3. GU is your best friend (especially Lemon-Sublime). Vanilla Powergels are also pretty good.
  4. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate.
  5. BodyGlide is money well spent.
  6. Ipods are great when they work.
  7. No single person trains for a marathon. There are a whole group of folks who help you get there.
  8. My nose has run much more than I have during the training.
  9. Blog friends are GREAT!!!
  10. Ibubroken is better than candy.
  11. It's hard to write a blog about running and keep it interesting.
  12. Everyone has bad run days.
  13. Everyone has great run days.
  14. Chocolate protein shakes after a long run rock!!
  15. After 1 hour of running, you have nothing left to talk to yourself about.
  16. After 3+ hours of running, you realize that talking to yourself is the least of your worries.
  17. My knees sound like firecrackers when I walk up the stairs.
  18. Physical Therapists are worth their weight in gold.
  19. When people ask me how much I run, I can tell them I have run from one city to another.....twice.
  20. Your mind is your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.
  21. Your shoes are your most important piece of equipment.
  22. Humidity stinks!!
  23. There are scary people on my running trail who sit in their cars and play the ukulele.
  24. My wife is a great runner.
  25. My father-in-law rocks.
  26. Training for a marathon is like eating one of those caramel candy things...it just keeps going and going and going and going....
  27. Pop your blisters early.
  28. I'm more anxious now than I was when I began the training.
  29. In the words of my students, I am running myself stupid.
  30. I love running.

I got 5 miles in yesterday and will do 8 tomorrow.

Cheers!!!

Weight:160lbs
Exercise:Running 5 miles.
Weather:Overcast, little warm 65 degrees.

13 comments:

MissAllycat said...

Great post. I can totally relate to so many of these things...

RunToTheFinish said...

awesome post! #7 is so true...heck they are all true really!

Anonymous said...

Superfantabulous list!

Bob A said...

This is great! I can relate to almost every one if you put them in the context of a half-marathon rather than a full marathon.

P.O.M. said...

Great list. Oh, the things we think about while we run....

Razz said...

Great list!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Great list. Just found your blog via Rob dares. I'll be back!

Jeff said...

Ditto what Andrew said.

Irish Cream said...

Ha, great list! No. 20 is SO true!

MissAllycat said...

Great list! I can totally relate. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this list - it is fantastic! I really like the two points about the 1 hour and then 3 hours. That is so true!

Lori said...

Fun list!
I got to try some of that lemon-sublime gu!
21. could not be more true.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Great list, though I prefer Vanilla or Chocolate GU myself!