Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Swims like a Rock

That's my new Native-American name. So, I had my swim clinic today. Apparently, I'm not that bad of a swimmer from my waist up. My problem is that my butt wants to sink. And, according to my instructor, it's because I'm not kicking correctly.

It seems that you are supposed to kick with your hips, which then forces your upper body up, which then allows me to turn my head and breathe like I should. It also will keep me from wearing myself out. Right now, when I swim, I lose my breath pretty quickly and it's because my arms and shoulders are pulling all of my weight. My instructor tells me that once I solve my kicking problem, I'll be able to swim with less effort and for longer periods.

So, I got two drills that I'm supposed to work on that will help me keep my butt up. Ok, if you read that sentence out of context......ok...nevermind. Anyway, I'll be doing that for the next few weeks as well as attempting to normal swims.

I ran 3 miles today and also weight trained. Tomorrow is 3 miles and my swim drills. Joy.

Cheers!!!

Weight: 158lbs
Exercise:Running 3 miles, Weigh training, swimming
Weather:Cold, overcast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love yoga. I have hip issues when I run and I find that yoga really helps. It is also slow...slow is good.

I just wish I had more time to do it. :)