Saturday, August 18, 2007

Moving on up to 12 miles

12 miles baby!!!! Woohoo!!! I was supposed to only run 11 miles, but I bumped it to 12. I'm increasing my mileage more than my plan tells me as my training only calls for 18 miles as my longest run and I want to bump it to 20 or 22 before my taper. I'm not sure that 18 is enough. Anyway, the run was great. The weather was spectacular. I love how I zone out during my longer runs. I completely don't realize that I'm running (of course this is easier when the weather is good). I've gotten to the point that the running feels like walking feels like.....I don't know if that makes sense, but when I run at a relaxed pace it is like I'm walking although I'm not anywhere close to walking. I guess I should pick it up if I'm feeling like that, but the run feels sooooo good when it feels like I'm walking. Having said that, I'm still sore at the end, but it is a good sore.

On a funny note, I actually finished my last 1.5 miles with a 5k that apparently had been set up and subsequently started while I was doing my miles. I was running along and all of a sudden all these folks with numbers on their chests started running towards me. They then passed me, turned around at the halfway point and began to lap me...as I got closer to the finish line of their race, there were all these folks cheering me on like I was running the 5k. Ha!!! So when I got to the corral, a woman asked me where my number was and I politely told her that I wasn't in their race :) Then some guy, who was with a bunch of people and thought he would be funny and impress his friends, came up to me and asked if I was little over prepared. I had my 4 bottle fuelbelt on, so he saw that and thought I was running the 5k. He was a real jerk about it. So I told him that I had just done 12 miles and asked how many he had done. He shut up pretty quickly.

Weight: 162 lbs
Exercise: Running 12 miles
Weather: Beautiful, 60 degrees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I told him that I had just done 12 miles and asked how many he had done. He shut up pretty quickly.

Good for you. I remember people zipping past us and shooting us those "slowpoke" looks when we were running "marathon pace," and then passing them later, pooped out after 2 miles.

You are officially "hard core" dude.

David H. said...

congrats on the 12 miles. perfect weather for it! Just a question, are you building in recovery weeks every few weeks? You're doing great, but don't burn yourself out too quickly!

Mark said...

12 Miles.... WONDERFUL Jason. Hey, everyone.... he even looked good this evening, although he did nap for 3 hours after the run... ;)

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on you 12 miler! And way to get that other guy to shut up... An 18 mi run as your longest run does seem short. I'm going to max out at 20 mi a la Hal Higdon. Galloway has you run the full 26 as your biggest LR, but that just sounds like cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

Robert Barker said...

Great job on your 12. Let us know how the fencing goes.

Jason said...

David, yeah I don't have any rest weeks built in, but my program is only 16 weeks long and I actually have two weeks built in for whatever I want, I may shorten the runs on those weeks.

I'm definitely going to run more than 18 miles. Probably 22.

Man, you don;t even know how psyched I am for fencing. I'll certainly let you know how it goes.