Thursday, August 9, 2007

Some brief thoughts on motivation

I have a much longer post planned for what motivates me to run, but I thought I pass along a few hints at what keeps me going while I'm running. The training plan I am following really highlights the idea of visualization and how that helps you run. I'm not talking about the new age crap that you see nowadays regarding The Secret and all that mess (and believe me I have a whole post on that subject as well). This is simply visualizing how you want to perform and then going out and performing that way. If you've ever played any kind of sports, you've done this before. Let's take golf for instance. When I'm up at the tee, I visualize how I want my shot to go. I picture the tee, my swing, the ball, etc. all in my head. Then I picture myself hitting a great shot. Similarly, before I run, I plan and visualize what my perfect run will be. I'm very specific down to what I'm wearing, how much I'm sweating, what my feet sound like when they hit the pavement, what the scenery is like, etc. Then I go out and run that run. While I'm running, if I start to get fatigued, I play back that perfect run in my head.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't work, I do something else that's not visualization at all. It's more like peer pressure.

I picture something that other folks have gone through and survived. And then tell myself that if they can survive whatever it is they went through, then I can certainly run a few miles. I read a book not too long ago called The Warrior Elite. It is about the training process for Navy SEALs. These guys are perfect examples of what it takes to stay motivated. They endure some of the most horrible physical training around and yet they get through it. The run on stress fractures while battling pneumonia. They carry boats over their heads for miles, covered in sand, while walking on broken legs. What keeps them going? (you'll have to wait as that's for my other post on motivation). The point is that they get through it. I figure if those guys can do that stuff, I can run a few miles.

So, I do it.

Weight: 164lbs
Exercise: Running 3 miles
Weather: 75 degrees low humidity

4 comments:

Dave said...

I know exactly what you mean about "peer pressure."

I'll ask myself -- how can I quit over this when I know so-and-so is going through so much more.

When I first got into shape was when my brother-in-law was serving in the USMC overseas. Knowing what he was struggling with in an unfriendly desert made my own runs seem trivial.

Brian Thomas said...

Nice blog. My middle name is Jasen and my last name is Thomas so I had to stop by when I saw the name on your blog. I'm training for a 50 miler and raising money too. I've actually found that the fundraising is a pretty good motivator.

RunToTheFinish said...

Agreed. I usually same some of these for races specifically, but I'll play the "Listen, Uncle Ray is in Iraq and Billy Joe Bob has cancer, you can sure as heck keep running hard." Works like a charm.

Jason said...

Brian, how cool...you should go by Jasen though :) Jasen is much cooler.

Dave and Amanda, if you haven't already you might want to check out Rob's post at Run to Lose on something he calls "inner defiance". He's right on I think.