Saturday, August 25, 2007

Worst Training Day Ever (12 miles)

Some of you may not know, but I am, in reality, Batman. So, what does Batman do when he has 5 hours of SCUBA to do on his long run day? Well he moves his long run to the afternoon so he can get his SCUBA in. And, being Batman, he doesn't care that the temperature this afternoon was somewhere around 93 degrees, with a heat index over 100. He also doesn't care that his SCUBA instructor told him that the nitrogen will make him very tired.

Well, Batman learned his limit today. Ugh!!! I got up about 6:00am this morning so I could get to the lake in time for our SCUBA. I'll fill you in tomorrow how SCUBA went as there is way too much to tell you and I'm dead tired right now. I left the lake around 1pm or so. Came home, ate a Subway sub and then tried to get a little nap before heading out to do my run at 5:00pm. I got to the trail and ran the first 6 miles. After that, I had to alternate running and walking. It stunk. This is the first run that I've had so far in the training where I had to walk. With the walking, I ended up finishing the 12 miles in about 2 1/2 hours. I'm pretty happy with that considering how much walking I did.

So what did I learn?

1. Don't SCUBA and do a long run on the same day.
2. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS run in the morning.
3. Batman is human.

Weight: 160lbs
Exercise:Running 6 miles, Running/walking 6 miles
Weather: HOT!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

pengo said...

The thing about learning lessons is ... we learn.

You made your 12 miles - and figured out how to do better the next time. And that's what it's all about. Good work.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading about your running experiences man. But since you bring it up, do you run with, or without the cape?

Anonymous said...

Everyone has bad days... but that's all they are. Hope you are feeling back to speed soon. And speaking of Batman, I recommend checking out the Flaming Lips' track "Bad Days" that ended up on one of the Batman soundtracks.

Jason said...

I usually don't run in the cape. It is made out of cotton :) If you have a tech cape, I'll give it a shot ;)

You and those damn Flaming Lips.

David H. said...

One thing that is awesome about training for this marathon is the lessons learned, whether good or bad.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you earned a few more credits in your running certification. You finished 12 after 5 hours of SCUBA - that makes you a superhero. The fact you weren't happy with your results make you human. Geez runners are crazy.