Sunday, July 29, 2007

7 miles and counting...

So, I did my long run yesterday. It was 7 miles and man was it hot and humid. Steph and I usually go to the trail early in the mornings on Saturday, but yesterday we slept in a little and we paid for it. I was dragging by the end. Nonetheless, I completed my 7 miles in 1:09:45. I'm pretty happy with that considering the heat. And, I also figured out the importance of hydration on really hot days. I didn't really drink that much during my run (maybe 12 ounces) and I think that had a lot to do with my tiredness. I was under the assumption that this run would be like my others in terms of weather and man I was wrong. So next time, more hydration :)

I also took everyone's advice on the stretching. I ended up doing a light walk followed by minimal stretching before I ran. Then I stretched like I normally do after my run. It worked very well and I don't feel any soreness today. So, I think I'm going to stick with that and see how it works. Thanks everyone for the advice.

We saw Harry Potter yesterday after the run. It was pretty good. I've never read the books but Steph has and she seemed to like it too. Although, she says they leave way too much out.

Next week, my schedule is 3-5-3-8. I can't wait :)

Weight: 165lbs
Exercise: Running 7 miles
Weather: Hot 85 degrees and very, very humid.

5 comments:

David H. said...

Great job keeping to your goals. Looks like you're on track with upping that long run a mile every week. Doesn't it feel good every week to run the longest you've ever ran?

Jason said...

Yeah...no kidding. It feels awesome to run the farthest you've ever ran every week :)

This week I up my long run a mile and I also up my medium run a mile. It is weird how once you do a mileage (like 7 miles) you feel like the miles less than it are easier to do.

Thomas said...

I bet you don't want yet another advice on stretching, do you? Personally I advice never to stretch BEFORE running. Stretching cold muscles increases you injury risk. Now, stretching like you did there after a warm-up is a much better solution, but man, it takes up a lot of time! Personally I don't stretch before a run. Never have, never will. I do sometimes stretch afterwards, but usually only if I happen to suffer from an injury at the time. And no, I don't think this non-stretching bias has ever been a contributor to any of my injuries.

Jason said...

I've actually though of not stretching at all before a run, but I'm too scared I think. I don't want to not do it and injure myself. Wow how many double-negatives are in that sentence :)

Runner Leana said...

Ah, more hydration....yup, that's a key one! Watch out for that humidity. Way to go on your 7 miler though. I'm with Thomas on the stretching as well. I don't ever stretch before a run either.