Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Running Music Redux

I figure there are two types of people in the world: those that run with music and those that don't. I fall into the former category. As such, I tend to constantly be on the lookout for good music. I posted a while back for some suggestions regarding good music to run to. I received some good advice and some...uhmm....not so good. After a few months of being a picky running music snob, I have come up with a list for future generations to peruse and enjoy. So, in an effort to help those who are looking for some decent tunes, see my list below (in no particular order):

  1. Metallica (Black album, Master of Puppets, Garage Days..actually most anything)
  2. Ocean's 11 and 13 soundtrack (would go for 12 but I haven't bought it yet)
  3. My Chemical Romance (anything)
  4. Old school hip-hop (like 80s and early 90s-tone loc, run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc.)
  5. Some new rap (Eminem, Dr. Dre)
  6. Various pop crap (One-hit wonder stuff that has a good beat)
  7. Steve Vai Passion and Warfare
  8. Evanescence
  9. Beach Boys (I know that sounds weird but they rock while you're running)
  10. Van Halen (Roth and Hagar, but I definitely like the Hagar stuff more for running)
  11. Some country music (I'm not a real big fan, but I like Big and Rich)

So, that should get you started. So, tell me, what do you like to listen to while you run?

My run went a little rough today. I had a greek salad wrap for lunch and like 5 french fries and it didn't set too well for my run. I felt like I was dragging. But, surprisingly enough, I set a better pace today for my 4 miler than I did last week....go figure. The whole time I was running I was thinking I was way behind my normal pace. I was actually ahead.

Tomorrow is a rest day (except for my Scuba). I can't wait until scuba class. We get to breathe through the scuba gear....woohoo!!!!!

Cheers!!

Weight: 166lbs
Exercise: Running 4 miles
Weather: little humid 74 degrees, ran right after it rained (yuck)

11 comments:

David H. said...

On my ipod shuffle, I have a mix of Dave Matthews Band, O.A.R., Green Day and David Gray. It's a pretty good mix of songs if you're into that kind of music.

Anonymous said...

I trust my suggestions fell in the not-so-good category (even though the badger really did work for me). Have you tried Kylie Minogue?

h said...

Found a rare video of Eminem performing with Van Halen and published it at my blog.

Two of your faves.

Anonymous said...

Count me in the "can't run without music" camp. My favs are varied. I also like the old stuff, aka stuff I grew up with. My latest fav is KT Tunstall. And, Jack Johnson has a few I run to and many more I drink a beer with.

Dr. David Hauser said...

The Black Album? That just sucks. Their last good one was "...And Justice for All"; everything after that is awful.

My suggestions: "Boys and Girls in America" by The Hold Steady (Springsteen meets Ted Leo); "The Fall of Ideals" by All That Remains (modern New England Metal); "As Daylight Dies" by Killswitch Engage (the older one, "The End of Heartache" might be better); "Kezia" by Protest the Hero (a bunch of Florida 17-year-olds play metal faster than I can type); "Night Ripper" by Girltalk (devastating mashups); "Leviathan" by Mastodon (perhaps the best metal album of the 2000s).

I can offer other suggestions; those are just the "metalish" ones.

Anonymous said...

I like to run with music if I am by myself. I actually like a lot of the stuff you've listed.

AC/DC
U2
Pink
Blackeyed Peas
Evanesence
Gross Point Blank Sound Track
CMC Music Factory
Funk 1
Funk 11

I created some mixes for the spin class I used to teach, so I listen to those a lot too.

Jason said...

ok...not liking Black album? Are you crazy? oh, wait...this is from the guy who likes Judas Priest (I know how attracted you are to that stupid mummy). I agree that the stuff after the black album sucks.

Lisa, I forgot about AC/DC. I would have them on my list, but itunes doesn't sell them and I have no CDs of theirs. But I really like them too.

I have OAR as well. They're pretty good as is Rise Against.

Kylie Minogue? Are you being funny or are you serious? I can't say I've ever listed to anything by her.

Anonymous said...

Serious about Kylie. But then, I was serious about Ministry (which I used to play in my office, much to the grad students' amusement) and the badger song too. What I like about Kylie (e.g. "Can't Get you out of my Head") is that she is relentlessly peppy, but also fast enough. A similar song I love is "Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots," but it's too slow and dreamy for running. What about power pop? Matthew Sweet, Fountains of Wayne (baby please leave the biker, break his heart!), Harvey Danger... or most of "Dream Police" for that matter.

Dr. David Hauser said...

Hey, if you are going to insult people, get the facts right: Judas Priest is the Harley-Leather-Flames band; Iron Maiden is the Skeletons-Proggy band. Priest hasn't been good since the early 80s; the last Iron Maiden album was good (but the previous four or so did suck).

And yes, the Black Album does suck.

I'll bring you some music.

Jason said...

ahh...right....I tend to get my sucky bands mixed up :)

Don't bring me any of that death metal crap. I like melody :)

Mark said...

OK..... so when I ran.... the reel to reel tape players were to big to run with...... actually Jason, I would usually run with partners and we would talk. Talking kept us from pushing to hard and, hey, you know me, always something to say..... ok.... so I would sing sometimes..... no, I am not a dork.