Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mucho Better

I did my five miles this morning and it was much better than yesterday evening. I started with a banana and a glass of OJ then hit the trail. The weather was cool and before I knew it, the run was over. That's how I like them :) I got back home and had a nice bowl of Kashi GoLean cereal with some blueberries. I've found that as I increase my miles, it helps to take in some carbs and protein within a half-hour or so of the run. I only do this on the longer runs.

On my long run on Saturday, I've started drinking a Powerbar recovery drink. It tastes really good (very much like chocolate milk) and it seems to really help my recovery. It really is amazing how taking in some carbs and protein after your long run can help. My legs are less sore and I feel like I could go out and run later that day if I needed to. On today's run, I also made sure to hydrate pretty frequently. I took in about 8-10 ounces every two miles and that helped a lot as well. Now the only thing I need to figure out is how to drink without spilling it all over myself :) Running and drinking weren't made to go together.

My next run is Thursday (3 miles) and then Steph and I are headed to Richmond to visit family. This means that my long run will be done where her dad lives in Hopewell. I've asked him to map out 8 miles. Hopefully, there will be no major hills (unless he feels the need to pay me back for some horrible thing I've done).

Tomorrow is SCUBA...woohoo!!!

Cheers!

Weight: 165lbs
Exercise: Running 5 miles
Weather: Overcast. Cool and a little humid. 72 degrees.

5 comments:

David H. said...

Isn't running in the morning much better? I'm glad I changed over this year. And as you'll see, I changed the URL of my blog since I won't be a "Lynchburg runner" for much longer.

Jason said...

Yep...I got you updated on my blogroll. The mornings are soooo much better. I think I'll be doing all my runs now in the morning. The only problem is I have to run through a tunnel that's like 1/4 mile long and it freaks me out hen I run through it in the morning....I can;t see the end of it because of the mist....spooky :)

Anonymous said...

HI Jason,
i am a friend of Rob's (Run to lose blog); and i have been checking out his list of blogs he reads. I see that you are running the Shamrock Dolphin challenge. are you running the 8k or the 1/2? i have a friend who lives in Va Bch who is a runner and will be running the 1/2. thought maybe you'd like to meet him so you all can hang out. let me know.
laura in NH

Jason said...

Laura, I'd love to hook up with your friend. I'm actually running both the 8k and the half. That's the Dolphin Challenge. They also have the Whale Challenge where you run the 8k and then run the marathon. I don't think I'm up for that yet :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,

I will get you in touch with Mike. He just got shipped to Afghanistan (he's a navy guy)but i believe he'll be back in time. I will be in touch.

laura