Monday, July 23, 2007

Enough with the smoking!!!!

So on my run today I almost got into some fisticuffs with an idiot smoker on the rail-trail. Now, I'm a believer in everyone's right to do whatever they hell they want to. Except when it comes to my running and your cigarette smoke. I know its outdoors and you can do whatever you want. But, the problem is when I'm hoofing it, I have no interest at all in inhaling your exhaled smoke. Argh!!!!!!!!

Yesterday, I yelled at a guy who was smoking on the trail. I was on the last mile of my 6 mile run and I had picked it up a good bit so I was breathing pretty heavily. I ran by this couple and the guy hides his cigarette so I wouldn't see it (they were walking towards me). But, as soon I passed him I could smell it...and since the trail we run on goes through a tunnel, I smelled the freaking stuff for at least another 1/4 mile. Today, was a similar situation. I yelled out both times that they should be more considerate of folks who are running.

You know, I really don't have a problem with anyone smoking, just why do it on the running trail? You're not getting any health benefits by walking and smoking at the same time. I'm certainly not getting any benefit from inhaling your crap. So, next time, drop the cigarettes for change and enjoy the fresh air.

In terms of my run, I did 3 miles and walked one. The reason I walked an extra mile is I'm trying again to calibrate my Nike+Ipod thingy. We'll see tomorrow how well it worked.

PS. If I ever, EVER complain about how tired my legs are or how sore I am, please remind me that I'm a jerk.....this guy is awesome (and incredibly inspiring)!!!!

Weight: 167lbs
Exercise: Running 3 miles, walking 1 mile
Weather: Beautiful, 70 degrees.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, on the list of things I don't enjoy on the trail, smoking is tops. Other least favorites...young teens and teens shooting off fireworks or other illegial activities, and people with no clue of trail etiquette. I got a lecture from a mom last weekend because I yelled, "on your left" and she told me I was rude and needed to slow down. Hilarious - me, slow down!

Jason said...

Fireworks?!?!? Wow where do you live that folks are setting off fireworks in the middle of the day? Remind me not to run there :)

David H. said...

well put. Smoking on a trail is mind boggling.